Business meetings eats up most of our time in a work day. Meetings are important but how do we need to manage them more effectively. Listed below are some tips to help us manage our business meetings more effectively.
|Creating a positive atmosphere- Image (|
- While setting up a meeting we need to decide- The purpose of the meeting, Agenda for the meeting, Participants of the meeting, Duration of the meeting, Location of a meeting, Virtual meeting or a physically present meeting etc…
- We need to decide if the meeting is required and cannot be manged by just a phone call.
- Block the time slot of the participants in advance to have maximum participation.
- Share the agenda and pre read in the same email or calendar invite.
- Send a calendar invite with all the details as the time slot automatically gets blocked on the participants calendar.
- Mention which participants are compulsory to attend and which are optional to attend so that the participants can plan accordingly.
- A focused discussion must be held during the meeting with a set agenda.
- Non related discussions coming from the meeting must be postponed to a later time with the relevant stakeholders.
- If you chair the meeting, avoid few participants dominating the decision and give equal opportunity to other participants.
- Get all participants involved in a meeting, encourage a 2 way communication dialogue.
- Be positive and lay down all the facts so that a decision can be taken during the meeting.
- Prepare your presentation and pre-read well in advance so that the participants are prepared with the background of discussion.
- Choose the location of the meeting room which has minimal disturbance.
- Accept and keep on hold some valuable suggestions which come during the meeting discussions.
- If the meeting is with some individuals on conference line ensure that the time slot is convenient to all participants.
- Arrange for all the logistics 2 days prior to the meeting.
|Meeting in progress (Image:|
Kindly share your tips and comments in the comment box below so that other readers can benefit.
Happy reading and sharing!